To celebrate I am today’s host for the very special Albie blog tour and would like to welcome author and creator Caryl Hart to Tales Before Bedtime to share five fun facts about dinosaurs!
Read on dear reader, read on. ✨ ✨ ✨
How to Grow a dinosaur by Caryl Hart and illustrated by Ed Eaves
Albie is a normal little boy who has extraordinary adventures. When he helps his mum in the garden by planting some seeds, he can’t quite believe his eyes the next morning. The garden has grown beyond all belief and these are not just any old plants – oh, no – Albie’s seeds have grown into great big jurassic jungle! He rushes outside to discover what else has grown – a fantastic mix of real live DINOSAURS!
Now who doesn’t love dinosaurs!? But how much do you actually know about them.
Here are five fun facts from Caryl herself.
- The word dinosaur means ‘terrifying lizard’ and this name was invented by Sir Richard Owen in 1842.
- Dinosaurs lived on Earth for over 160 million years throughout the Triassic, Jurassic and the Cretaceous period which was around 65 million years ago!
- Scientists today have identified more than 330 different types of dinosaurs from carnivores (meat-eaters) to herbivores (plant-eaters).
- A palaeontologist finds bones and analyses them to work out when dinosaurs lived and what they looked like. The first dinosaur to be formally named was the Megalosaurus, in 1824.
- The birds we know today were descended from a type of dinosaurs known as theropods and some believe that many dinosaurs had feathers instead of scales!
Now if you’d like to find out just how to grow one then you’d better check with Albie, he has grown them himself after all.
How to Grow A Dinosaur is just one of ten fun, colourful stories featuring our hero Albie. His latest adventure How to Drive a Roman Chariot, was just published on the of 6th August 2020.
Enjoyed your visit? Stay up to date with posts by signing up below.